Friday, November 14, 2008

GF Pizza Crust


This is my favorite version of gf pizza crust. It makes 3 servings of thin crust. It makes a tastey thicker crust too, but I press it out pretty thin to get more servings in these lean economic times ;) The recipe is based on this one at Epicurious. I do not like chickpea flour. To me, it tastes like metal. I can taste it on things even after they have been washed. I can smell it in the sink after the water has been drained. Sure it is all probably in my head, but I can't handle it. The idea for replacing the chickpea flour with Whey Protein Isolate is from this post. The idea is that chickpea is a high protein flour so you should replace it with a high protein substitute. I use whole milk in my gluten free baking. I like to think that the extra fat helps. Really, recipes converted to gluten free start off behind the eight ball. So any extra help they can get, I try to give. Also really important in getting a good crust is a pizza stone. I got mine right around the time I switched to gluten free cookery. It is fabulous, even if you aren't gluten free, get one. I keep mine in the oven all the time. I cook everything on it, either in a regular pan or directly on the stone. On to the recipe.

3/8 cup tapioca flour
2/8 cup white rice flour
2T + 2t Whey Protein Isolate
2T + 2t sorghum flour
.5 teaspoon xanthum gum
.5 teaspoon salt
1t Italian seasoning
1/4 cup whole milk
2T water
1 teaspoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1 large egg white
1 T olive oil
2/8 cup flax meal
parchment paper

Heat up the pizza stone in a 500 degree oven. Sift the first 7 dry ingredients together in the bowl of your electric mixer. Add 1T of olive oil and 1 egg white to the dry ingredients. Combine the water, milk, sugar and yeast together (liquids at 110 degrees) and let it bubble for a couple of minutes before putting it in the mixing bowl too. Beat for about 4 minutes. Add in the 2/8 cup of flax meal and beat another 2 minutes. Turn the oven down to 425 degrees. Turn the batter out on to the parchment. Use a wet spatula or wet finger tips to press out thinly. I work on a parchment sheet that is the size of a quarter sheet pan. I spread the batter within an inch of the edges. Place the parchment papered crust directly on the stone and bake for about 5 min until lightly browned. Pull it out and top it as desired. Stick it back in the oven for a couple more minutes. The pizza in the pic is Gorgonzola, cream cheese, caramelized onion, and bacon and it rocked my face off.

No comments: