Friday, January 2, 2009

GF Buttermilk Biscuits

Had some buttermilk leftover from Christmas and really wanted to use it up. What better way than buttermilk biscuits? I have made GF buttermilk biscuits before and they were just okay. This new formulation is much better. First thing I needed to do was get over my desire to roll out the dough and use a biscuit cutter. Not happening, just let it go VBC. I did, so these are drop biscuits. Recipe is adapted from this one at Epicurious. I roughly cut it by 1/3 and got 5 decent sized biscuits.

1/4 cup teff flour
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
1/4 cup tapioca starch
.5 teaspoon xanthun
1.5 teaspoons baking powder
.25 teaspoon salt
.5 teaspoon baking soda
4 Tablespoon frozen butter, grated
about 1/2 cup buttermilk

Preheat oven to 425. Sift together all the dry ingredients. Then grate your frozen butter in the same bowl. I started with a little more than 1/4 cup of buttermilk and kept adding more until I had the traditional consistency, stirring with a spatula. I am guessing I probably added about 1/2 cup. I was planning on getting 4 biscuits, but they seemed a little big. I spilt it into 5. I put them on a parchment lined baking sheet and baked for 20 minutes. I would start checking for doneness after 15 minutes. So delicious. They are dark because of the teff, but I got over that too. The flavor is great and they are more nutritious than an all rice/starch biscuit. I think even non GFers would enjoy.

No comments: